Research Director, CASM
Carl is the Research Director of the Centre for the Analysis of Social Media (CASM) at Demos.
He is interested in how social media is changing society, and how researching it can inform important decisions. This includes:
- Digital politics and digital democracy
- Cybercrime, and the hacking community
- Cyber-bullying, hate crime, misogyny and abuse online
- Information warfare and online disinformation
- ‘Fake news’, digital and citizen journalism
- Automated decision-making, Internet governance and digital addiction
- Building new methods and technology to study social media data
He researches and writes widely on these issues, including for Wired, New Scientist, the Sunday Times, the Telegraph and the Guardian. He is a Visiting Research Fellow at King’s College London.
His first book is The Death of the Gods: The New Global Power Grab. An examination of the new centres of power and control in the twenty-first century, it was published by Penguin RandomHouse in August 2018.
Carl’s website is www.carlmiller.co
And he Tweets @carljackmiller