We are now looking for ambitious, enthusiastic people to take on the role of Researcher. This is an opportunity to help shape the national agenda at a high profile charity working to have an impact and improve lives in the UK through public policy.
We are looking for generalists, but are particularly keen to speak to people with a demonstrable interest in technology policy as there will be ample opportunities to work closely with CASM, our dedicated digital research hub. However, Demos also enjoys a long history of allowing our researchers to nurture their public platform, media profile and research interests as part of our commitment to personal development.
Objectives of post:
- Conducting qualitative and quantitative research, including gathering, preparing and analysing data, organising and conducting focus groups and interviews and designing research materials
- Developing policy proposals, founded in evidence, for delivering improved outcomes
- Undertaking and writing up literature reviews
- Drafting research outputs, including written reports and blogs
- Contributing to the impact of research projects by collaborating with the External Affairs team
- Develop and maintain relations with key stakeholders and counterparts in partner organisations.
Curiosity, enthusiasm and strong organisation skills are critical to success in this role. We’re looking for a candidate with excellent verbal and written communication skills, intellectual curiosity and an analytical mindset. Political interest and a commitment to improving lives are the biggest pre-requisites.
- Knowledge and understanding of research methods
- Interest in data analysis
- Project management skills, including working to multiple deadlines
- Mathematical literacy: comfortable using and interpreting data
- Confident written and verbal communication skills: comfortable writing for a range of audiences, presenting complex information in easy-to-understand formats
- Hard working and committed, taking direct ownership of issues and seeing tasks through to completion
- Demonstrable interest in public policy making.
- Demonstrable interest in the future of technology and the political questions it raises.
- Relevant undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
- Formal research methods training
- Professional experience of undertaking qualitative or quantitative research projects
- Experience of research software such as Nvivo or Stata
- Understanding of research ethics
Terms and conditions
- Closing date is 11am 27th August. Interviews will be held w/c 3rd
- Salary: £22-26,000 per annum dependent on experience
- Hours: 37.5 hours per week
- Reporting to: Head of Research
- Location: Demos offices, London SW1P 2PD
- Pension: 6%
How to apply
If you are interested in this position please apply by email to [email protected] by 11am on Monday 27th August. Any applications received after this time will not be considered.
- A letter setting out why you want to work at Demos and why you are suited to this role
- A short note (no longer than 750 words) setting out a proposal for a policy change you would like to see implemented by government (national or local) as a response to a social problem caused or exacerbated by technology.
- Your CV
Interviews will be held at Demos offices in London during w/c 3rd September.