Demos is recruiting an additional researcher for three months on a short-term contract to help deliver a selection of projects for a rapidly growing portfolio of public policy research. We are looking for a committed, enthusiastic person with a keen interest in politics. This is an opportunity to help shape the national agenda at a high profile charity working to have an impact and improve lives in the UK through public policy.
Objectives of post:
- Conducting qualitative and quantitative research, including gathering, preparing and analysing data, organising and conducting focus groups and interviews and designing research materials
- Developing policy proposals, founded in evidence, for delivering improved outcomes
- Undertaking and writing up literature reviews
- Drafting research outputs, including written reports and blogs
- Identifying and putting forward proposals for policy, contributing to the specific objectives of the project
- Contributing to the impact of research projects by collaborating with the External Affairs team
- Develop and maintain relations with key stakeholders and counterparts in partner organisations
- Curiosity, enthusiasm and strong organisation skills are critical to success in this role. We’re looking for a candidate with excellent verbal and written communication skills, intellectual curiosity and an analytical mindset. Political interest and a commitment to improving lives are the biggest prerequisites.
- Knowledge and understanding of research methods, including in-depth interviews and focus groups
- Interest in data analysis
- Project management skills, including working to multiple deadlines
- Mathematical literacy: comfortable using and interpreting data
- Confident written and verbal communication skills: comfortable writing for a range of audiences, presenting complex information in easy-to-understand formats
- Hard working and committed, taking direct ownership of issues and seeing tasks through to completion
- Demonstrable interest in public policy making
- A collaborative mindset; able to work well within small or large teams.
- Relevant undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
- Formal research methods training
- Interest in the future of technology
- Professional experience of undertaking qualitative or quantitative research projects
- Experience of research software such as Nvivo or Stata
- Understanding of research ethics
Terms and conditions
Closing date is 27th July 2018. Interviews will be held the week commencing 6th August.
Salary: £22-26,000 pro rata
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Reporting to: Head of Research
Location: Demos offices, London SW1
Potential candidates from backgrounds that are underrepresented at Demos are especially encouraged to apply. This includes women and people from minority ethnic or low-income backgrounds.
How to apply
If you are interested in this position please send a CV and cover letter by email to [email protected] by the 27th of July 2018.
Start date immediately