Demos is recruiting for a full time Operations Manager: a new role to support the organisation as it grows. In this role, you will support the charity’s operations, governance, and organisational culture.
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic, progressive organisation with a diverse portfolio of work and a reputation for innovation.
Your responsibilities will cover:
- Ensuring the smooth running of the organisation by leading on operational processes, including managing our office space and creating a welcoming workplace culture.
- Managing our annual governance cycle, including being the point of liaison between Demos’ board of trustees and senior management team, working closely with the Chair, Chief Executive and Office Assistant to plan meeting agendas and ensure full and accurate papers are prepared in a timely fashion.
- Supporting our Finance Director to prepare management accounts, including taking on responsibility for day to day bookkeeping where necessary.
- Ensuring HR processes are documented and followed, including supporting recruitment, staff onboarding, and supporting managers to complete our annual review processes.
- Supporting the research team through contracting and client engagement.
- Monitoring our internal capacity and resourcing, using information from project managers, the finance team and our project management software.
- Line management of Demos’ Finance Assistant and Office Assistant, identifying their objectives and managing their performance in consultation with the senior management team.
Strong organisational skills, adaptability and excellent interpersonal skills are critical. Essential attributes:
- Experience overseeing operations and managing projects, including staffing, budgets and both supplier and client relationships.
- Confidence working with senior stakeholders, including Trustee boards or similar, and the ability to tailor communication styles to suit different audiences.
- Good level of numeracy with a track record of efficiently and effectively managing budgets.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, and keep multiple projects and objectives on track.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build effective working relationships.
- Reliable, with strong attention to detail.
- General IT literacy including experience with G-Suite.
- Management experience
We are working to improve the diversity of our team, and strongly encourage applicants from groups under-represented in Westminster to apply. That includes people with lived experience of disadvantage, including poverty, discrimination and disability. Flexible working is strongly encouraged, though the nature of the role means that it will require regular attendance at our central London offices.
Demos is a think tank, conducting research and designing policy proposals for government, business and civil society. We are completely non-partisan in our approach: our way of working is to involve the public in policy discussions and decisions. We use unique methodologies to do this, and develop our own tech to underpin them. Based in Westminster, we are an ambitious team of about 20, working together for real impact.
We work on a diverse range of issues from online anonymity to food poverty. Our flagship projects this year include:
- Reimagining Public Services – building a credible policy agenda for 21st century public services, with citizen experiences at the centre
- The Good Web Project – articulating, measuring and advocating for a better Internet
- Climate Calculator – a public deliberation on how best to tackle climate change
How to apply
Please send a CV and a covering letter to [email protected] by
9am on Tuesday 19 October. Any applications received after this time will not be considered. These documents should be attached to the email, formatted as pdfs.
Terms and conditions
- Salary: £30-35,000 per annum
- Hours: 37.5 hours per week; 30 days’ holiday pro rata
- Contract: Fixed term contract for 10 months with the possibility of extension to a permanent contract.
- Reporting to: Director of External Affairs
- Location: Demos offices, London SW1
- Pension: You will be automatically enrolled in a pension scheme to which individuals contribute 3% of salary and Demos contributes 6%.